Nitrogen is colorless, odorless, tasteless and nontoxic in both its liquid and gaseous forms. It is inert under most conditions.
SOC Supplies Nitrogen:
- Compressed in cylinder capacities 1m3 to 10m3 40L.10 L
- In cylinder racks – 1×16, 1×30,1×60
- Nitrogen Liquid in duracylinders & cryogenic tanks
Fractionation, most commonly by cryogenic fractional distillation.
Uses Of Nitrogen
- Nitrogen can be used for blanketing, as well as for storage for protecting raw materials or finished products in liquid form from the formation of peroxides and/or gum, and from contamination by oxygenated components
- Nitrogen is used as an inert gas especialy to create, in combination with hydrogen, a reductive atmosphere over the tin bath in the float glass process
- Nitrogen is used as a carrier gas in gas chromatography, Nitrogen is the balance gas of the calibration gas mixtures for environmental monitoring systems and industrial hygiene gas mixtures
- Nitrogen is largely used as purge, dryier or blanket gas for analyzers or chemical reactors (under gaseous state or at low temperature liquid state)
- Heat treatment of various metals
- Nitrogen is a component of the special mixtures used in CO2 Lasers
Low-temperature preservation of living tissues and cells.
Uses in Food Industry
Liquid nitrogen is the mostly used cryogenic fluid, to chill, freeze or store food products. Gaseous nitrogen is commonly used in contact with foodstuffs to avoid oxidation or micro-organism growth by inerting of liquids. Modified Atmosphere Packaging (MAP) preserves and protects foods ( pure nitrogen or mixed with CO2).
Physical & Chemical Properties
|Phase||Gas / Liquid|
|Molecular Weight||28.0134 g/mol|
|Melting Point||-210 ÂºC|
|Relative Density ,Gas||0.97 (air = 1)|
|Solubility [mg/l] in Water||20 mg/l|
|Appearance (Color)||Colorless Gas|
|Odour||No odour warning properties|
|Toxic||No – Simple Asphyxiant|
|Flammability Range||Non Flammable.|
|UN Number||1066 – Gas 1977 – Liquid|
|Chemical Abstracts Service Number||7727-37-9|